Monday, July 21, 2008

Dos-A-Dos y mucho mas

My camera has logged some miles this weekend. Finally remembered to take photos of my book from Friday. I thought I finished the front and back covers. Looking at the book, I'm not done. I was on the sociable side and chit chatted with some of the other ladies when I could have been working.

I can be more so nose-to-the-grindstone and get a lot done during a class. I still will when I'm trying out new things and want to glean every last smidgen from the class or the instructor. This time it was fun to socialize after spending so much time on my own. Carol presented the pages and techniques and off to work we went. From the start, everyone started to add their own twist and that was the fun of it.
My front and back covers. More work is needed. I added some depth by stamping on the patterned scrapbook papers prior to cutting and gluing them down.Here's Carol's beautiful book. I do have plenty to add to mine!
This is where the "Dos-a-Dos" name of the book comes from. Two books in one, back to back.Our book has black pages on one side and envelope pockets on the other. Five roomy pockets for mini books and goodies picked up on our travels. These envelopes measure 6"x 6". We used strong, wet glue in an oblong shape between the envelopes for a good hold. Here's an example of the honey combed look I've done before. Here I've used coin envelopes and a strip of 2-sided tape between them.My page is in my Arizona altered composition book. I've mentioned the book in earlier posts on using metal tape.Here's a re-run on the cover. Metal aluminum tape, distressed and inked with Saddle brown Staz-On ink. The words "cotton," "climate," "copper," "cattle," and "citrus" randomly embossed into the tape. Distressed copper brads spelling "Arizona" were placed through a copper tag and a laminate chip. (I had to use a drill to make the holes through the laminate for the brads). The brads went through the cover rather than relying on glue only to keep the laminate chip in place.
Southwest themed wrapping paper was wet, wrinkled, dried and glued into the inside front and back covers. A brown ink pad was rubbed onto the surface to bring out the texture. The green dots, brown stripes and lettering are stamped. All stamps used in this book are "Stampotique Originals." I gutted the original pages and used Canson brand papers in greens and browns. Today I might choose other papers but I used it at the time because the Canson is easy to find, comes in large sheets. It's heavy, hardy and it held up very well to everything I did to each page. This included layers of stamping, watercolors, acrylic paints, taping, stapling.....

This book was a copy of another book I made for an altered composition book round robin. The theme was your hometown/where you live. I liked the idea so much and it was perfect for using many of my pictures from my frequent ventures to the Desert Botanical Garden.

Above is a pic of the Chicklet taken at the Arizona Historical Museum in Tempe. My photo is to the right and it blends in with a magazine image forming the bottom border.
The triangle is cut and glued forming a pocket. Oops! I lied, these two stamps are other brands. The itsy, bitsy creature by the saguaro cactus is not a jack rabbit, cactus wren, roadrunner, gila monster OR a javelina. It's the Chicklet. (Javalinas don't wear pink pants).More bloomin' desert flowers. Most of the photos in this book have been sanded on the edges with color washes added. The background around these flowers was sanded, colored and stamped over. That's beaded fringe on the bottom of the photo. It did some damage/added character to the facing page so I added a strip of packing tape to prevent further damage.
Besides my own photos, I made good use of brochures from the botanical garden and back issues of Arizona Highways. This flower is kept company with the spine/skeleton/leftovers from a prickley pear pad. A discarded file folder was used for thsi page.Staz-on ink was stamped on the sequin of this beaded fringe.
Fall foliage from the Boyce Thompsom Arboretum got cut in random strips. AZ Highway has great images for paper weaving. I looked for one that had colorful images on both sides that were big enough. This is a real Arizona Sunset! It was one of those lucky shots.
Half pages formed large tabs for adding to, I found an I-10 sign in a shop in Sedona, took a picture and cut it for this page. My all time favorite bloom-the red ocotillo cactus bloom.
The coin envelopes in the center of the book. The dollar store had some surfboard shaped playing cards. They fit perfectly in the envelopes. Glued pictures to the cards and added ribbons.The right and left photos are the same spot, the pond at the botanical garden. The photo on the left was taken in the summer, to the right was in the spring. It's hard to see but there's a transparency attched to a half page. The transparency lays perfectly on either photo. It was a small black and white accent photo of a vintage trunk latch in AZ Highways. Some time at the copy machine and some transparencies and "Whaa La!" Cool stuff.
How do you cram more pictures than you have pages? Like this-Gecko courtesy of Arizona Highways. Googly eyes courtesy of my (twisted) sense of humor. His head hangs on the edge of a half page looking onto the next paper weaving.
Used curved lines for the weave this time. "Play" and the Red rocks of Sedona are on the other half of the file folder.
Fall Break. I got two weeks, the Chicklet might have gotten 2 days...after I was already back at work. The solution? Play hooky!!!! I taught my daughter the term "playing hooky" in second grade. Bad mom! We had a blast!I love circles, dots, etc., and so on. What are your favorite spots?
An office envelope page was added and here's the back end. A tip in page I made for a swap fit and the colors went with the book so it found a home here. Different size circles were punched along the edge for decoration and a 1" punch was used for the half circle in the center. The tip in slides out.
A close up of a barrel cactus. The texture is further played up by staples and staples and more staples. Staples are fun but the colored ones are pricey. Buy regular staples and color them to your heart's content with Sharpies! I guess other alcohol based inks would work too but I usually have my rainbow stash of Sharpies on hand and they're not too messy.
This shot was taken at sunset last night. Another for the book perhaps.

Marissa

1 comment:

  1. Once again loved looking at your creative endeavors!

    ReplyDelete