Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Day's Review

The Chicklet's been trying to get me to take her to the Chinese Cultural Center for some time. Today she succeeded. We started out with a side trip to Practical Art, a new store in Central Phoenix. Lots of beautifully crafted clay, wood, fiber and jewelery. A great spot for one-of-a-kind gifts. They don't represent any collage/paper/books artists YET. Contact them if you want to share your portfolio with them. Their emphasis is on functional art.

Being that we were across the street from Frances, how could we not stop by? Recognize the birdie on the placard? I used their tissue paper on my white altered journal last month.The Chinese Cultural Center seemed like the place to be. The parking lot was full. Our favorite spot was the garden and koi pond. The Chicklet tried her hand at using my camera. Practice, practice, practice and this was the result:
We made our way to the koi pond.
Kept thinking of Monet's water lilies. The koi were coy-bad pun but true! We found a good spot to get a little closer.Our excursion included a visit to the gift shop. I thought it was pretty funny that a good portion of the items in the store were from Japan. The Chicklet bought a Hello Kitty keychain and I found a cool book of japanese postcards.The front window of the herb store.We were both hungry but I wanted to take a look at the goods in the grocery store. Oh, Hello Kitty! I think the chicklet was annoyed, embarrassed or just hungry but she thought I would get in trouble for taking pics in the store. Nope, but the aisles were narrow and the people were...well let's just say it was like being back in Monterey Park, CA.Food, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease! Lots of Pink packaging, hmmmmm.

A good day was had by all. Got the front yard, driveway part of my property measured but doubt I'll have time to work on the landscape plan overview tonight. Still have to crosscheck the names of all the student's who's work I hung for the student art exhibit. If someone moved, I'll be replacing their work with a couple of pieces I didn't have room for.Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment