Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gone to the Dogs

Good gosh! Can't believe I haven't blogged since the end of August. I guess I got stuck when we had a loss in our family that I couldn't bring myself to write about.

We said good-bye to Carmen, our 15 1/2 year old pooch and friend. We adopted her at 4 monthes of age and 15 years later, she still didn't want to let go so we had to make the decision to take her to the vet and let her go in peace.

After having 2 big dogs for the last 16 years, I was hoping to be a one dog family but Friea missed having a friend. We visited the no kill shelter, we put in an application for Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue. We found our new pooch.Meet "Maica," Short for "Jamaica." No, not the island but the hibiscus flower drink I love to get when we go to our favorite Mexican food joints. The Chicklet and I spent awhile trying to find the right "red" name for our new Red Lab. Until I met Maica, I'd never heard of a red Lab before.Maica is more of a "pet-my-head- kinda" gal rather than a "rub-my belly" girl like Friea. She's a real sweetie and has unbelieveably soft fur.Friea is happier to have a friend to hang out with. Our first week has been kinda a getting to know you period. Even with 2 baby gates stacked vertically in the studio doorway, Maica has pushed or pull them down. After 3 days of this and having to pick up everything that's gotten knocked down in the studio, I gave up. She insists on full access to the house. Funny thing is, Freia stayed in the studio.

She must have been trying to score points with me. I thought I'd figured out where she was jumping the 6' fence in the backyard. I was so proud of my hard work of painting some 2 x 4s and drilling them into the block wall. First chance Freia got, she jumped the f-ing fence. What a fiasco.

The Boyfriend insisted on chasing after her and was fuming when he realized that she runs away from us. She ran all over the neighborhood but was finally aprehended blocks away. My fear is that she will get hit by a car. Damn dog... The boyfriend has been pretty much AWOL ever since. What a stupid, disappointing, ridiculous thing to end a relationship over....Now if this one could only get her homework straight, all will be right in our world. Forget the homework, the smile makes a sucker out of me....
God natta,
Marissa

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your loss...

    Your new pooch looks very well loved!!!!! Big smiles all around, eh?

    LOVE the hummingbird picture...

    Good luck with the fence jumping pooch and disappearing BF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again...I love the photograph of the Chicklet!! She is such a beautiful young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know you had a lovely 15 years with your pet.
    Know the one you saved looks forward to being with you for just as long.
    Know that smile would turn any one to mush. What a darling picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marissa, I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to go through the loss of a pet. Hugs

    ReplyDelete