Monday, December 22, 2008

It's about time

The Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art is about to celebrate it's 10th anniversary. Last Sunday was my very first visit. I'd say it was about time I got myself over there!
I went to see "Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting." What a show! It really stretches the imagination. Photography wasn't allowed otherwise I'd have a ton of images to share. I was really struck by the linear and graphic quality of some of the work.

Knit pieces stretched across the ceiling, reminiscent of cobwebs. Rows and rows of linear pieces made from poured porcelin. Their cast shadows on the wall adding another element. Layers of paper pulp "lace" sheets hung from the ceiling. It's one of the most thought provoking and inspiring exhibitions I have seen in some time. If you're in the Phoenix area, this is one to see!The images I'm sharing are from the museum brochure. The knit pieces above are really that tiny.
I probably spent another hour in the museum store. There's always unique things to enjoy. Imagine Maya Angelou together with Jean Michel Basquiat. Crazy combination, right? I found a children's book with her poem and his art for illustrations. It was a perfect match. It's titled "Life Doesn't Frighten Me." Another fun find-tote bags made from shredded paper sewn in place between layers of mesh. I was walking around with a smile.

The Scottsdale Performing Arts Center is currently under construction. There is beauty in the process.Paid a visit to Robert Indiana's "Love" SculptureSome of my "perspectives" on love, ha ha..I should have had this sign before I did a major cleaning around the house last weekend. I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future.If you still have some shopping to do, the museum store at the Performing Arts Center is open during construction.
Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment