Saturday, June 12, 2010

Found

I thought I wasn't going to be able to blog for awhile. The cord to my laptop recharger went from not working, to exposed wires, to being in two pieces. Yikes! Not good so close the weekend with the school building being closed on Fridays. Luckily, the "Computer Fairy" was able to help me out. Thanks, Kelli!

A few weeks ago I decided to venture over to Found. It describes itself as having "vintage finds, objects and fine furnishings for the home." They probably thought it might be too long winded to add- chic, fun, creative and inspiring. If you've been in downtown Mesa and are familiar with Domestic Bliss, it's the same folks. Domestic Bliss is still there but smaller and in the front of the building. I'm glad for that. Love that place!I don't need one more piece of furniture in my full, little abode but it was a blast to walk around the store. It is chalk full of inspiring ideas. I am horrible at arranging objects on horizontal surfaces so I can use all the help I can get.

I forgot to photograph the big "chandelier" hanging over the center of the store. Regular frames from table lamps, covered with burlap. My jaw dropped pretty much when I saw that and I'm not sure it closed much the whole time I was there.Vintage frogs, (is that what they're called?) They were used for flower arranging. Cool little, sculptural goodies.

They had some beautiful paintings. I fell in love with one of them but I couldn't figure it out. I asked the lady working there about the painting. Turns out it was a "giclee" print. You'll see those from time to time at art shows. "Giclee" is a very fancy, french sounding term for color copy. These high end copies are done on canvas. Is my tone sounding a bit snarky? That's because it is. I'm not fond of fancy terms for reproductions. I think that's misleading to the consumer.

That said, the art pieces at Found looked like real paintings. These were the best examples of "giclee" I've seen so far. I could have left there with two under my arm...

I can live without the frogs, I can live without the art work but can I live without something like this? Talk about inspirational! Oh the ideas that have filled my brain since I saw this. The hamsters up there are working furiously!
Drool...... Need I say more?

In case you're wondering, I have no connection to the store. I love going there and I always walk out of there with lots of ideas and I'm passing along the info in case you're in the neighborhood and want to pop in. If I can plug a local business and help out in even a small way, then I've got a mitzvah under my belt!

Marissa

3 comments:

  1. Oooh Oooh! Take me next time you go! Yes, those are frogs - look just like the ones I used to arrange my Dad's garden flowers with at home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marissa,
    Glad you are up and running. I have not been to Found but must go sometime. Your pictures of the items were an inspiration in themselves. I agree with you about the fancy names for repo but sometimes it is just plain fun to give a fancy name to something common! Smile. Anyway, while I liked all the pictures-- yes--the last one was --Oh My Goodness! Thanks for the diversion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love places like this! I just read a cool article on using things like the frogs for other purposes...holding crayons or pencisl for examples. Can't think of the others right now. I think the mag was called flea market style.

    ReplyDelete